3D Animation & VFX for FilmAdvanced Diploma of Screen and Media
The Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media is a two-year, full-time course for students who want to work in film, TV or visual effects. It is a practical course designed to give students the best technical training to work as 3D artists using the latest state-of-the-art technology.
Developed with the input of leading film and visual effects studios, the Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media will enable students to complete impressive film projects that showcase their skills and form the basis of a professional showreel to impress potential employers.
Major Film Project
Students are required to complete two major group projects during the second year. One is a group project that simulates the industry, and the other is an individual assessment following the pre-production model, beginning with concepts and storyboard, and following through to the final project.
These projects along with individual projects will supply impressive footage for individual graduate showreels, demonstrating proficiency in all aspects of animation production, ranging from animatic and character modeling to post-production.
Students utilize industry standard software and resources such as:
- Maya — Modeling, rigging, animation & rendering
- ZBrush — High detail sculpting
- Photoshop — Concept art and texturing
- After Effects — Compositing and lighting
- Nuke — Compositing and match-moving
- Adobe Premiere — Video editing
- Character Animator
- Environment Modeler
- Technical Director
- Fur/Feathers FX Artist
- Water FX Artist
- 3D Tracker/Match Mover
- Digital/Matte Painter
- Surfacing/Texture Painter
Portfolio Requirements for Art & Animation
Your portfolio is your evidence of creative ability. If you have explored animation and/or visual effects, do provide your best examples. If you have a strong interest in the area, but do not have previous experience, use your portfolio to demonstrate your ability to imagine and realize a creative piece of work in media that you are more familiar with.
Provide at least one drawing from life (still, gesture, environment, etc.). Portfolios can include short animations, gesture drawings, poster designs, sculptures, concept art and character designs. We will ask you about your creative process from concept to presentation during the portfolio review. We will accept either digital (e-mail/DropBox/Flash Drive/etc) or physical copies. Please contact us directly with questions.
- Demonstrate entry-level proficiency using industry standard software and resources such as: Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, After-Effects, Nuke, and Premiere to design, create and render digital visual effects. (Performance, Problem Solving, Responsibility)
- Demonstrate appropriate project management skills, such as scheduling, and maintaining deadlines, for entry into the 3D Animation and VFX industry. (Collaboration, Communication, Performance, Problem Solving, Responsibility)
- Demonstrate a holistic approach to see the entire scope of a project and how each individual’s roles interface and impact others. (Collaboration, Performance, Responsibility)
- Develop the ability to adapt to team diversity, varying timetables, art styles and processes. (Collaboration, Communication, Problem Solving, Responsibility)
- Use analytical thinking skills to design, develop and troubleshoot. (Communication, Performance, Problem Solving, Responsibility)
- Analyze and interpret user requirements to design and develop appropriate solutions. (Communication, Performance, Problem Solving, Responsibility)
- Interpret information received from a variety of sources; including reference manuals, the Internet, computerized help systems and colleagues. (Collaboration, Communication, Performance, Problem Solving)
- Identify own skills and abilities and develop strategies for effectively using them in group settings. (Communication, Problem Solving)
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing and through a visual medium. (Communication, Performance, Responsibility)
- Prepare an employment portfolio including a resume, cover letter, letters of reference and Show Reel/work samples and pitch a concept. (Collaboration, Communication, Performance, Responsibility)